As always I am trying to get more fruits, veggies and fibre into my diet! That’s what inspired my latest experiment. If you are trying to cut down on fat you can replace the butter or oil in any muffin recipe with apple sauce but if you are trying the gluten free version of this recipe at the end with the *** it is best to leave the butter in as the end product will be dry and crumbly.
Oatmeal Strawberry Banana muffins. Yum!
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup ground chia seed
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries chopped & tossed in 1 Tablespoon of flour
Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer with paddle attachment cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs using a fork. Add eggs to sugar mixture and beat until combined. Add mashed bananas and mix until combined.
- Sift all dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add sifted dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix until flour is just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX! Fold in floured covered strawberries.
- Scoop muffin batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake at 425F for 5 minutes. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue to bake for 12-15 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let muffins cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes before enjoying
***for the gluten free option instead of 1 1/4 cup of flour add:
1/2 cup sorghum flour, 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup almond flour + 1 1/2 tsp xantham gum