I always suggest to clients to have at least 2 Vegetarian meals per week. Pulses…also known as beans, peas and lentils are a great source of protein and have tons of fibre with no added fat, which all animal sources will have no matter how lean the cut of meat! So here is a Chili recipe which works perfectly because it makes a ton so you can have it one night for supper and have it leftover for lunch and bam…there are your 2 Vegetarian meals for the week. Enjoy!
- 2 15oz cans Black Beans
- 2 15oz cans Chicken Peas
- 2 Peppers (any color)
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped or diced
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar free ketchup
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Drain and rinse the cans of Black Beans and Chick Peas
- Chop peppers and onions and add to the pot along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for 30 minutes on low stirring fairly often so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom
- Serve up and enjoy!
Dietitian Pro Tip: Freeze extras for following weeks to save time!