If you’re anything like me you’re always trying to find extra ways to sneak a few more fruits and veggies into your diet. These muffins call for an apple and a cup of grated carrot so its a good way to sneak in some extra nutrients and boost the fibre content.
This is a gluten free recipe but it can be easily converted to a regular muffin recipe by adding 1 1/2 cups of regular flour as opposed to the 2 types of gluten free flour and by not adding the xantham gum. In a non-gluten free recipe you also don’t need as much fat so feel free to substitute the oil for apple sauce at a 1:1 ratio!
Preheat oven to 350ºF
- 1/2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 grated apples (I used McIntosh but its all about personal preference)
- 1 egg
- Add all dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, flax, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, xantham gum) and mix with a whisk until combined.
- To this mixture add egg, honey and oil until well mixed.
- Grate carrot and apple (or food process if you like) and then fold in to final mixture, mixing in but not over mixing.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until and inserted tooth pick comes out clean.